Monday, February 8, 2010

Chapter Three

Chapter three is all about employee-employeer relations. I really liked and appreciated this chapter because I personally, have had really good employee-employer relationships and really bad employee-employeer relationships. I think that this chapter really hit the nail on the head as far as how employeers should view their employees and how they should be treated. At first whenever I first started reading this chapter, I didn't really know how public relations had anything to do with relationships within a company. Usually when I think of PR, its between two different companies, not relationships within one company.

The first PR case about employee-employeer relationships that the book focuses on is on page 31 titled, "Investing in Employees Pay Offs." It was a case of the Malden Mills fire that destroyed a lot of the company. Everyone's jobs were at risk. A similiar problem occured in 1980 when the Mills had to declare bankruptcy and laid off workers. After re-inventing itself, the Mills opened back up, and re-hired all of its employees that had been laid off due to the bankruptcy. This is a perfect example of great employee-employeer relationship. After the fire, all but a handfull of workers were hired back to work at the Mills. And, its employee-employeer relationship runs roughly at 95%. This is an example of wonderful relationships within a company.

This chapter gave many examples of different kind of relationships between employees and their employeers. It also goes to show that a company can have employees that are more than willing to want to work for them is they keep a good relationship with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment